Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Restless Spirit at Peace - A Follow-Up From My Book

I've had the delightful privilege of being interviewed on numerous radio, internet, and pod-cast programs by many wonderful hosts.  Occasionally I've been asked if some of the spirits I encountered and shared in my book, Restless in Peace: A Psychic Mortician's Encounters with Those who Refuse To Rest (available through Llewellyn Worldwide, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble), were able to eventually find rest.  The answer to that is yes, most of them have, and I share with you here a follow up from Chapter 10: They Come A-Knockin'.  As several encounters are shared in that chapter, this pertains to the restless and angry spirit whose encounter begins on page 131 and continues on from there.
 
I write, "Then there are those unfortunate souls that chose to end their lives by their own hands at a funeral home.  If their spirits make a return visit, they can often reflect their feelings at the time of their suicide, which can leave the living who encounter these spirits knowing what real fear is."  I go on to speak of the warning given to me by a coworker and the appearance of the poor soul as he terrorizes us one evening and then chases me to my car on another.  That was a fear that nearly made me not return to the funeral home I call Serenity Shores, but fear could not rule this issue, nor me.  Getting away from him and protecting myself was one thing, but leaving that tortured soul to repeat his anxiety was another.  I couldn't leave this miserable being to continue to suffer any more than I could an animal in pain - my heart wouldn't let me and my soul wouldn't abide by it.
 
So, what the book doesn't tell is the full end of the story.
 
When I returned home that evening after being chased, as I wrote in the book, I didn't tell my husband or anyone I live with about what had happened.  I did cry, privately, to myself, but also wondered why I cried and who for.  Was I crying for me and the fear manifested in the encounter as a relief type of mechanism, or was there something more?  I had to ask myself this for quite some time.  It finally came to me that I should continue to pray, not for myself, but for that person that he had been in life.  Yes, he was now in spirit, but at one point he had been a living, breathing human being.  He had been forced - either due to circumstances beyond his control or due to something askew in his own mind - to enter into a realm of darkness where none can reach; where pain rules the roost and all semblance of hope has disappeared.  This forced him to take his own life as a way out, but he, unlike most, didn't get that closure; didn't receive that rest he'd hoped to gain by committing the ultimate final act upon himself.
 
I needed to know why; I needed to know what he needed.  I was also curious as to what may have pushed him to do such a desperate act.  I meditated and I prayed for many nights.  Eventually, the message came back to me that the what and why of his issues were not really the point, but what he needed was simple - love, compassion, and understanding from another living being; something he'd not had in life or even in death.  That I could do.
 
I began connecting with his pain and, as an empath, that went deep into my soul.  I knew, though, that the loving hand of God, Spirit (what I call one of my Guides), and my Guardians wouldn't let me fall.  Fear did not have to enter this journey - this journey to care for and save a soul from his own personal Hell on Earth.  I prayed, I cried, and felt compassion and understanding for someone I'd never met in his life, but had the chance to connect with in death.  I also prayed I did this man some good, but knew that, somehow and at some time, I would be shown I had.
 
Patience was involved and I had to accept the fact that things take time.  Also, when the time was right I would know he'd found peace and not until.  Too many healers of spirit allow their egos to run with them and they will say that they've done their job right then and there, johnny-on-the-spot, to sound as if they are in control when, in reality, it is our Higher Power and none other who is calling the shots.  My ego doesn't play that game nor need the immediate validation; I am one who understands and knows full well the power of love and compassion, as well as the need for time to work its wonders.  So, I waited.
 
Several years after this encounter spoken of in my book, and after taking time to pray for the person involved (his spirit), my husband and I had the opportunity to take someone into our home that I had known for many years.  This young man was like a son to me, but, little did we know that he arrived with ulterior motives and an anger that went far beyond just being sullen and quiet.  Unbeknownst to us he was doing things in our home that would make anyone want to boot a person to the curb and say good riddance to bad rubbish.  I wasn't able to feel or sense it even though I am an empath.  Why?  Because love blinded the issue.  Love, though a powerfully healing and benevolent force, can also be a person's walled blind spot when another has intentions of using it against a person, seeing it as a weakness to be exploited.  That is why love, of any kind, must be given and felt for the right reasons; not out of need or loneliness, but out of honest caring and altruistic benevolence.  I needed to learn that lesson, while the tortured spirit of the person from the funeral home needed to be a contributing factor in my learning, while also needing someone to honestly care.
 
During the time this young man lived with us he told me tales of not being able to look towards or out of his bedroom window.  He told me something ugly, disheveled, and frightening kept looking in at him.  By his description, he had somehow seen the same spirit that had chased me in the parking lot and had peered in the window of the funeral home, even though I'd never shared this encounter with him.  I wondered what was up with that, but chose to let it go and let my Higher Powers deal with it.  Still, this young man that I mistakenly cared so very much for, was uncomfortable and needed somewhere else to hang his hat.  The truth of death, which I brought home daily being a mortician, and the energies of spirits in my home, along with positive prayer, bothered his being to no end.  "Something" was at work on him to leave for the benefit of all, but I didn't know it at the time.
 
Eventually, the young man did leave, but not without help from police after many secrets had been revealed, all of which were nasty and hurtful.  After he was gone and done with, I took the time to gladly clean out his room, as well as thoroughly cleanse our home and property of his deep negativity.  On one evening in early 2010, during one of my deep cleaning stints in what had been his room, I had the window coverings up and felt as if I was being watched.  I became aware of a dog we'd rescued standing and looking towards the window, with her tail wagging and a happy smile on her face.  I turned to see the disheveled spirit from the funeral home on the walkway outside the window.  I had no fear any longer and was just startled for a second.
 
When he knew he had my full attention, he backed away from the window, turned, and walked into another area of my backyard.  As I watched him, his countenance began to change.  His body went from slumped and dejected to upright and confident.  His clothing, which had been torn, dirty, and wrinkled, became clean and ironed.  When he stopped his walk and turned back around to face towards the bedroom, I saw that his hair, teeth, and face, which had been scraggly, dirty, and bearded, went to combed, clean, and freshly shaven.  He was now quite a handsome fellow with a smile on his face that spoke of nothing but healed peace and thanks.
 
As I looked at him he began to glow, surrounded in a light which should have been too bright to look at, but wasn't.  He gave me a nod in confirmation as the realization came to me that this was indeed the spirit that had chased my car and he was now Going Home.  He raised his right hand, waved goodbye, looked to the heavens as the light surrounding him strengthened, and he was gone.  Now, in the area where he stood, is growing a tree between a bougainvillea bush and a small gravesite where I've buried several pets who were deeply loved.  What a cherished and blessed gift that will forever remind me of his time on this earth and his help.

                                                  *   *   *   *   *   *   *

During interviews I am often asked why this happened with this particular spirit.  The answer to this is a simple one - because someone cared and did so from the heart.  Spirits, just like living beings, need someone to care from the heart and understand - or, at the very least, try to - compassionately, honestly, and openly.  The spirit who went Home needed that and only that.  In return, he returned the favor by making someone leave my home who was truly evil.  I have often said and firmly believe that it is not the dead we should fear, but the living, and herein lies proof.

From my heart to yours, I bid you peace.
Mariah
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment